Who we are
Commodity Trader with a Difference – Aspuna Group is a fast-growing London-headquartered social impact commodities business. We are a University of Cambridge Executive MBA spin-out with the core team consisting of experienced executives with backgrounds in Commodities Trading, Banking, Market Research & Analysis and Commercial Law. Aspuna’s first operations are in the soft or agricultural markets, with a view to be active in other commodities classes in the future.
Focusing initially on Africa, Aspuna’s operations are vertically integrated with a strong commitment to local processing as a powerful vehicle for socio-economic development. Aspuna Group’s products are thus distinguishable through the company’s sourcing and production methods.
We have made strong and fair partnerships with our local suppliers and producers the core of our strategy; placing great emphasis on socially responsible processing and trading. It is therefore an imperative for our business to add social and economic value to the communities we operate in.
In an increasingly socially and environmentally conscious consumer world, Aspuna’s customers can be assured that the purchase of its locally processed commodities has a direct social impact on the livelihoods of small-holder farmers and their wider communities. In addition our relatively small manufacturing operations allow for a greater degree of transparency and traceability – two aspects that have gained enormously in significance over the past few years.
Ethics and Values
- We do not believe in CSR, as this is often treated as a separate entity.
- We have embedded our commitment to the generation of socio-economic returns alongside our profits deeply into our company DNA
- We treat people and their communities with dignity and respect.
- Our factory operations are managed with the greatest degree of transparency and traceability
- We operate with the highest degree of transparency and traceability.
- Our team operates with the highest standards of integrity and responsibility.
- Our values and business practices put us in a strong position to deliver first-class client services and honor our business obligations.
Origin of our name
Our name, Aspuna, derives from the English word ‘Aspire’ and the Wolof word ‘Aduna’, which means ‘World’. The very combination of these words reflects our ambition to become the leading social impact commodity trading house and expand our activities on a global scale.
June 04 2019
December 18 2018
July 26 2018
June 18 2018
June 1 2017
May 9 2017
February 27 2017
- Venturing forth: Building a starch business from scratch (From gas to tapioca: venture founded by former commodities traders helps farmers in Gambia)
September 20 2016
September 9 2016
April 12 2016
- Allia, Future Business Centre – Cambridge collaboration to launch online platform mapping agribusiness in Africa
April 11 2016
December 06 2015
- BusinessBecause – Social Enterprise: From McKinsey To Goldman, MBA Careers With Social Impact Are Endless
November 20 2015